For practice owners


Professional Dental Indemnity Insurance

All active dentists in the UK are required to have adequate and appropriate arrangements so patients can claim any compensation they may be entitled to. There is no specific definition of "adequate and appropriate" arrangements, however, it is advisable a dentist has cover from one of the main three indemnity organisations.

Some overseas dentists had arrangements with the insurance companies from their home countries so they were covered for treatments carried out in the UK. However in many cases the maximum claim amount was not satisfactory for the PCT and the registration was either delayed or put on hold until appropriate indemnity cover was in place. We have heard of a few cases where a PCT initially accepted overseas indemnity cover and registered a dentist, but later requested a change to UK cover. This is probably caused by a lack of specific regulations about dental indemnity cover.

Therefore we strongly advise dentists to obtain dental indemnity cover from one of the organisations listed below:

•  Dental Protection Limited (Medical Protection Society)

•  Dental Defence Union (Medical Defence Union)

•  Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland

The cost of dental indemnity cover can be deducted from taxable income if you are self employed dentist. It is often best to pay it in monthly instalments. However, before you can pay for your indemnity insurance you will need to have a UK bank account. Sometimes it is difficult for overseas dentists who do not have a UK bank account yet. Therefore some employers offer help and pay the first instalments on your behalf and later deduct it from your pay. If you have a friend or a relative with a UK bank account you can also ask him to pay the first instalments.

To find out more about the current indemnity regulations and requirements for dentists please visit:






    Practice sales
    Recruitment services
       Information for dentists
    GDC Registration
    PCT/LHB Registration
    Language requirements
    Dental Indemnity Insurance
    Registration as self employed
    CPD requirements
    UDA - Units of Dental Activity
    "NHS Dentistry Book"
    Superannuation info
    Tax Information
    Prison Dental Services
    EU Dental Manual
    Sample files
    Useful links & resources
       Dentistry Courses
  Raj Rattan - NHS Dentistry
  Wyman Chan - Teeth whitening
  Graham Dindol - Dentapreg FRCs
© 2010 Professional Dental Services       All Rights Reserved